In honor of the upcoming autumnal equinox, I will be engaging in 30 days of devotional practice for a deity who has become very close to my heart: Hades Aidoneus Chthonius Polydegmon. Or, simply put, Hades. The autumnal equinox signals the day that Hades’ wife, his beloved Persephone, returns to the Underworld and the pair are reunited for the dark half of the year.
To frame this devotional practice, I will be using Arrin Deuognatos’ 30 Days of Deity Devotion writing prompts. Arrin is a Gaulish polytheist whose blog can be found here.
1) A basic introduction of the deity
2) How did you become first aware of this deity?
3) Symbols and icons of this deity
4) A favorite myth or myths of this deity
5) Members of the family – genealogical connections
6) Other related deities and entities associated with this deity
7) Names and epithets
8) Variations on this deity (aspects, regional forms, etc.)
9) Common mistakes about this deity
10) Offerings – historical and UPG
11) Festivals, days, and times sacred to this deity
12) Places associated with this deity and their worship
13) What modern cultural issues are closest to this deity’s heart?
14) Has worship of this deity changed in modern times?
15) Any mundane practices that are associated with this deity?
16) How do you think this deity represents the values of their pantheon and cultural origins?
17) How does this deity relate to other gods and other pantheons?
18) How does this deity stand in terms of gender and sexuality? (historical and/or UPG)
19) What quality or qualities of this god do you most admire? What quality or qualities of them do you find the most troubling?
20) Art that reminds you of this deity
21) Music that makes you think of this deity
22) A quote, a poem, or piece of writing that you think this deity resonates strongly with
23) Your own composition – a piece of writing about or for this deity
24) A time when this deity has helped you
25) A time when this deity has refused to help
26) How has your relationship with this deity changed over time?
27) Worst misconception about this deity that you have encountered
28) Something you wish you knew about this deity but don’t currently
29) Any interesting or unusual UPG to share?
30) Any suggestions for others just starting to learn about this deity?
Praise to the King in Chthonic Darkness!
Featured photo credit: Annie Spratt via Unsplash.